httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tobias Adolph <Tobias.Ado...@lrz.de>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: Using an older version of PHP with Apach2
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2016 07:34:28 GMT
Am 22.04.2016 um 22:17 schrieb Good guy:
> Or if there is an option then use Windows to host multiple php
> versions.  I use them all the time on my development machine that is
> running Windows 10 and IIS.  you just need to make sure you have the
> correct VC++ run time libraries.  You can download them from Microsoft
> Website (VC9, VC10, VC11/12, VC14).

This, as other comments given, does not answer the OP's question. IMHO,
the comment to the OP's question should have been only:

> I agree, the old code should to be migrated to run on latest PHPs.

If someone is really interested in helping he or she should write about
how the OP could accomplish his original task (PHP 5.2, CentOS, Apache
2.4.6).
No doubt there are plenty of solutions for the OP's problem, like
sticking to the Windows world or lots of shiny Linux tech stuff and - no
doubt - they all have their pros and cons.
But without inert knowledge of the requirements of the project at hand
you don't know, whether your suggestions are helpful or pointless.
(I guess he migrates from Windows to CentOS for a reason and I guess
that he also has his reason to use PHP 5.2).

Please don't missunderstand me: I share the opinion that a solution with
up-to-date and supported software would be the way to go in a perfect
world. Alas - ours isn't one.

As to the question: You can always build your favorite version of your
open source software, well, from the sources (which means: Not using the
PHP of your distribution but building your own binaries).
But - the older your targeted version is and the bigger the gap between
the devel-libraries of your current OS and the targeted version is, the
bigger will your pain be. This means: A lot of work.

In this answer I totally ignore security issues at hand - you'll have to
deal with them, but you should know from the comments of the others,
that there is a considerable risk in running non-patched software that
is long out of support.

You could consult this article if you really want to stick to your
requirements and if you consider compilation as an alternative:
http://www.phpinternalsbook.com/build_system/building_php.html - this is
no guarantuee that its contents will comply with the rather old
PHP-version (Disclaimer: Its the articles' google rank that made me
recommend it, I just skimmed it, didn't read it).

Depending what your further requirements are you have to decide how you
want to "connect" httpd and php, your choices are mod_php (which is fine
if you only use it for one purpose) or any sort of fcgi-Module (I guess
mod_fcgid is your best bet). Fcgi is better if separation of rights
(multiple concurrent php-applications which should be separated from
each other) is of a concern. Otherwise you should stick to mod_php which
is easier to implement and configure ("easy fcgi" from the php side is
only possible if you use php-fpm which is only supportet in php 5.3 and
above). Whether CentOS has these modules in their package repositories
is unknown to me, but if not, you can still compile httpd from the
sources with your own flavor of version support and modules (which will
be even more work for you).

Alternatively you could search whether some unofficial repo provides php
5.2 for CentOS. But this also has considerable risks (the software is
probably not up to date or the provider hasn't to be trusworthy).

Maybe this gives you some ideas how to proceed (i.e. what to google next).

Kind Regards,
Tobias