httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Michael A. Peters" <mpet...@domblogger.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Upgrading to httpd 2.4 and documentation - Any missing info?
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2016 07:52:04 GMT
On 03/15/2016 12:23 AM, Luca Toscano wrote:
> Hi Apache users!

> about the adoption percentage of httpd 2.2 vs 2.4, and I was wondering
> if the people that have not upgraded yet have suggestion about whether
> or not the documentation needs any improvement to facilitate the process.
>
> The 2.4 release is the only one actively developed and it offers tons of
> new features compared to 2.2, among them:
>
> - HTTP/2 support (https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_http2.html)
> - <If>/<Else> directives (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/core.html#if)
> - lua scripts support (https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_lua.html)
> - most up to date version of the event mpm
> (https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/event.html)
> - most up to date version of mod_ssl
> - a lot of bug fixes!
>
> I understand that a lot of you have complex and difficult environments
> to migrate, but it would be great to extend the 2.4 release as much as
> possible. Are there any gap in documentation or anything else that we
> can help with to ease the process?
>
> Let me know!
>
> Luca

Thank you for the effort.

A business I am a customer of runs 1.x on all their web servers and I
have been trying to get them to update to 2.x for years.

When they use TLS it is ben-ssl with export ciphers and I *finally* got
them to turn off all the dangerous ciphers and only allow tls 1.0 but
the excuse they keep giving me is "our hosting company says the version
we have is secure"

I don't understand how a version that hasn't received upstream updates
for years can be considered "secure" - lazy hosting company.

I would love to see better 2.4.x adoption, especially now that it
supports HTTP/2.