httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rajesh Tammineni <rctammin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Query on number of child process created for worker MPM
Date Thu, 11 Feb 2016 16:07:08 GMT

Thank you for reply. Please find below for further comments..

> On 11 Feb 2016, at 10:31 PM, Luca Toscano <toscano.luca@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Rajesh!
>
> My comments inline:

>> I am running apache 2.2 version on Linux OS and there is no configuration values
defined in my apache configuration.

>> I believe it takes all below default values.
>>
> Please set the values that you need in the configuration files, relying on the default
ones is not the best option. You should set your operational values; it is easier to figure
out where the inconsistencies are. I also assume that you are using the worker mpm (https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/worker.html#how-it-works),
but could you please confirm?

Yes. I am using worker MPM.
>> I am observing sometimes child process are reaching 30 to 32.
>>
> Processes or threads? Are you sure that you are checking them correctly?

I am talking about child process not threads. I know based on requests child process creates.
But my doubt is as per the default ServerLimit value I should have 16 child process. Looks
my understanding is incorrect.
>> I was in an impression the child process can create only 16 as per above default
ServerLimit value. Could you please clarify on this?

> https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/worker.html#how-it-works
>
> "Two directives set hard limits on the number of active child processes and the number
of server threads in a child process, and can only be changed by fully stopping the server
and then starting it again. ServerLimit is a hard limit on the number of active child processes,
and must be greater than or equal to the MaxClients directive divided by the ThreadsPerChild
directive. ThreadLimit is a hard limit of the number of server threads, and must be greater
than or equal to the ThreadsPerChild directive."

>> Also I am seeing MaxClients reached when I restart apache server. So that means it
will error MaxClients reached only once in server life?
> This question is a bit unclear, can you add a bit more info?

I am getting MaxClients setting reached in error logs when I restart Apache instance.
My question is...that message will only be generated once per server lifetime?
 [error] server reached MaxClients setting, consider raising the MaxClients setting