httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Bumbernick, Tom" <tom.bumbern...@hpe.com>
Subject [users@httpd] HTTP Web Page and Load Balancer to Tomcat
Date Tue, 08 Dec 2015 21:43:06 GMT
We are attempting to do two functions with our HTTP Server (Version 2.4):

1.       Load Balance (mod_proxy balancer) workload to two Tomcat servers (version 8)

2.       Be able to route a request to Tomcat to serve up a web page.
The two URLS are configured in Tomcat to execute the functions are "https://Tomcat<https://tomcat>
Server.com:8443/Tomcatwebapp/" and "https://Tomcat Server.com:8443/User Guide/"

When the Tomcat web app executes, a web page is produced for the end users.  On this web page
is a button that triggers the link for the User Guide.

The process flow design is as follows:

1.       User enters https://HttpServer.com/ which is processed by the HTTP Server and then
load balanced to either of the Tomcat servers as https://Tomcat<https://tomcat> server:8443/Tomcatwebapp.

2.       Tomcat server receives the request and triggers the web app web page.

3.       The web page is displayed on the end user browser

4.       The end user clicks the User Guide Button

5.       The request flows to the HTTP Server and is routed to the Tomcat server to execute
https://Tomcat<https://tomcat> server:8443/UserGuide.

6.       The User Guide is opened on the end user browser in another tab.

Process flow #1 to #4 are working.  #5 is where we need help.

Due to security restrictions, we only have two ports open between the client and the HTTP
Server (443 and 20443).

We are having difficulty getting the HTTP Server to route the URL to the Tomcat server as
https://Tomcat<https://tomcat> server:8443/UserGuide.  We are not sure how to configure
the httpd.conf file to allow for this URL flow to the Tomcat server.

If it makes more sense to have the HTTP Server serve up the User Guide web page, which would
be OK too.

Our httpd.conf file:
#
# Proxy
#
ProxyRequests Off
<Proxy \*>
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
</Proxy>
#
<Proxy balancer://Client_Prod>
BalancerMember https://Tomcatserver1.com:8443/Tomcatwebapp/
BalancerMember https://Tomcatserver2.com:8443/Tomcatwebapp/
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Proxy>
ProxyPass / balancer://Client_Prod/

<VirtualHost *:443>
SSLEngine on
SSLProtocol -SSLv2 -SSLv3 -TLSv1 -TLSv1.1 +TLSv1.2
SSLCertificateFile "C:/whatever.client1"
SSLCertificateKeyFile "C:/whatever.client1"
ProxyPass / balancer://Client_Prod/
ProxyPassReverse / balancer://Client_Prod/
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:20443>
SSLEngine on
SSLProtocol -SSLv2 -SSLv3 -TLSv1 -TLSv1.1 +TLSv1.2
SSLCertificateFile "C:/whatever.client2"
SSLCertificateKeyFile "C:/whatever.client2"