httpd-users mailing list archives

From Hajo Locke <Hajo.Lo...@gmx.de>
Subject [users@httpd] unexpected behaviour of default host
Date Tue, 29 Dec 2015 19:05:25 GMT
Hello List,

used for years apache 2.2, now trying to upgrade to 2.4 and do some
configtests.
I noticed an unexpected behaviour of default host.
like suggested here, i use a minimal default vhost:
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/vhosts/examples.html
<VirtualHost_default_:*>
DocumentRoot"/www/default"
</VirtualHost>

In Apache 2.2 we used additional "Servername *", but with 2.4 it is not
allowed to use wildcards with Servername-Directive.
So we leave it empty like suggested in the docs. First loaded valid
VHost will be the default host.
I think the missing Servername is internal evaluated and filled with
hostname of local machine. I did a lot of tests and this is my only
conclusion.
So this leads to problems when using local hostname in other VHosts as
Servername, which may lead now to wrong Documentroots. We do it this way
on a couple of thousend servers. I think this happens also to the guy
who commented here at bottom of page
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/vhosts/examples.html
To avoid this it seems necessary to add  Servername with an unexisting
hostname. "ServerName non.existing_host.noTld"

Alltogether i think the 2.4 solution for defaulthosts is quite
unfortunate. May be there should be used a really Default-Servername to
mark defaulthost.
At least the docs should be updated and admins should be informed that
they are "loosing" a usable servername and there is one fault probability.

Thanks,
Hajo