httpd-users mailing list archives

From Stormy <storm...@stormy.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache2 does not properly start
Date Fri, 11 Dec 2015 16:49:14 GMT
At 09:23 AM 12/11/2015 -0600, Andy Wang wrote:
>On 12/10/2015 08:21 PM, William A Rowe Jr wrote:
>>It's been too many years since I and others have looked at 2.4.7, if you
>>can try this on a modern release of httpd and share those error logs, be
>>glad to review.
>>[snip] it looks like you're attempting to use the ubuntu packaged httpd
>>and the ubuntu upstart(or are they using systemd now?) scripts.
>
>You should probably ask on the ubuntu forums to see if people are familiar
>with that.

Ubuntu 14.04 tries to use upstart... 15.04 recognizes a "return" to systemd
(see <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SystemdForUpstartUsers>). In my experience
many admins have tweaked their servers to their own preferences. Certainly
with Ubuntu 14.04LTS it is trivial to have systemd work as expected.

On the other hand, Ubuntu is not necessarily user friendly for less
experienced admins to compile more recent versions than recommended
"packages" -- I *think* 2.4.10 is the latest "stable" for 14.04LTS, but
2.4.17-3ubuntu1 (amd64, i386) is available, but may still be "somewhat
beta" to backport (I do not follow dependencies.)

Best -- Paul