httpd-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Härtig <Alexander.Haer...@dmc.de>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_cache/CacheStaleOnError vs. ErrorDocument
Date Tue, 27 Oct 2015 13:33:51 GMT
Hello everybody!

We have a Apache httpd with mod_cache/mod_disk_cache enabled. By default the directive CacheStaleOnError
is activated. The documentation states:

| When the CacheStaleOnError directive is switched on, and when stale data is available in
the cache, the cache will respond to 5xx responses from the backend by returning the stale
data instead of the 5xx response.

That's our desired behaviour.

Additionally we want to serve a custom error page when there's no (stale) cache data add all
to serve for a specific request. So we defined an ErrorDocument for every status of the 5xx
class.

As I couldn't come up with an reliable test scenario, my question is: what will happen when
cached data for a specific request is stale and a 5xx error occures while requesting the backend?

Our current configuration-template looks like that:

<VirtualHost *:80>
	ServerName @host@
	ServerAlias @hostShort@

	Include conf.cache/health-check.conf

	CustomLog logs/@host@/request_log \
			"[%{%d/%m/%Y:%T}t.%{msec_frac}t %{%z}t] %{X-Forwarded-For}i %{SSL_PROTOCOL}x %{SSL_CIPHER}x
\"%r\" %s %b %D \"%{User-Agent}i\" %{cache-hit}e"

	#htdocs
	ProxyPass /errors/ !
	ProxyPass /version/ !

	#BACKEND (defined in hosts.properties)
	ProxyPass / http://@backend@:80/
	ProxyPassReverse / http://@backend@:80/

	CacheRoot /var/local/cache/@host@/

	# Serve stale data on error.
	CacheStaleOnError on

	Include conf.cache/cache-common.conf
	Include conf.cache/cache-rules.conf
	Include conf.cache/ssl-cache-rules.conf

	ProxyErrorOverride On

	ErrorDocument 500 /errors/@host@.html
	ErrorDocument 501 /errors/@host@.html
	ErrorDocument 502 /errors/@host@.html
	ErrorDocument 503 /errors/@host@.html
	ErrorDocument 504 /errors/@host@.html
	ErrorDocument 505 /errors/@host@.html
	ErrorDocument 506 /errors/@host@.html
	ErrorDocument 507 /errors/@host@.html
	ErrorDocument 508 /errors/@host@.html
	ErrorDocument 510 /errors/@host@.html

</VirtualHost>

Does httpd serve the stale data? Or does it serve the configured custom error page? How is
that prioritised?

Thanks in advance,
Alexander

--
Alexander Härtig
software engineer

dmc 030 GmbH
Kohlfurter Strasse 41/43
10999 Berlin (Germany)
Telefon: +49 30 308 3393 - 70
Telefax: +49 30 308 3393 - 93
E-Mail: alexander.haertig@dmc.de
Internet: www.dmc.de

Handelsregister: AG Berlin Charlottenburg HRB 129396 B
Geschäftsführer: Daniel Elsässer, Andreas Magg
// the diconium companies:
dmc commerce consultants | dmc digital media center | dmc 030 | ro11 | embitel | CINTEO

stuttgart // berlin // karlsruhe // bangalore // detroit

Diese E-Mail enthält vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen. Wenn Sie
nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren
Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese E-Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren
und die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser E-Mail sind nicht gestattet.

recipient or have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately and delete
this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this
e-mail
is strictly forbidden.