httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michael Felt <mamf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] make apache 2.4.17 portable under ubuntu [wd-vc]
Date Sat, 31 Oct 2015 18:51:24 GMT
On 2015-10-19 10:49, Bremser, Kurt (AMOS Austria GmbH) wrote:
> 1. all systems must have the same Ubuntu release.
at least compatible. aka binary compatible
> 2. on all systems, the stick needs to be mounted on the same directory
This would be ideal - however, you could modify the apachectl to
determine where it lives and use relative paths
to refer to the conf, modules, etc. that you want to load.
> 3. build apache with a apache root directory that is located on the mounted stick. Make
sure that nothing escapes you (conf location etc)
> That should do the trick.
Specifying your own --prefix (e.g., with a relative path in it, rather
than absolute) may help. As you probably need root access to start httpd
- you might also be able to
create a symbolic link that your conf files use - but will point them at
the USB location.

In short - where there is a will - there is a way!

> I have done a similar thing in AIX, where I installed apache in a VG apart from rootvg
that is shared between primary and backup server.

> Kurt Bremser
> AMOS Austria
>
> Newton was wrong. There is no gravity. The Earth sucks.

from laptop to desktop computer and without duplicating webserver from one computer to another.

> i'm trying to do the same under ubuntu 15.04 however it seems that only few people did
it.
> 1. why people under linux do not use portable webserver  (e.g. on USB drive) ?
> 2. how can i make apache 2.4.x portable, so to have all needed files (apache, php, openssl,
etc) on a USB drive and make it work as standard web server?
> so in fact how to make apache looks after its configuration files and librairies under
its own directory where it will be stored ?