httpd-users mailing list archives

From Scott Neville <scott.nevi...@bluestar-software.co.uk>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache HTTPD returning status code 413
Date Fri, 30 Oct 2015 17:36:32 GMT
Hi,

I am looking after a web based application which is developed in Java
and fronted by Apache HTTPD (via mod_jk to Tomcat to be specific). We
have noticed a very small number of requests which Apache HTTPD returns
a status code of 413 to a request which would appear legitimate. When
you access these URLS using the same path through the application they
work fine. However all of the requests that get issued a 413 come over a
specific set of routers/gateways/firewalls, 99.99% of requests work fine
just as expected. However the small percentage of requests which Apache
HTTPD sends a 413, it is consistently repeatable, so if you request the
same page multiple times from the same machine, the request does reach
Apache HTTPD each time and Apache HTTPD responds with 413 each time.

I have a theory that one of the firewalls/gateways/routers is adding
something to the HTTP request headers (or maybe the body of the request)
which is making it too long for a GET request. Is there any way to trap
all of the HTTP requests and log them (with the full headers and the
body), so we can see if my theory holds true. Once I can prove or
disprove this I can take it to the people that look after the firewalls
and ask them to fix.

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Scott

DISCLAIMER: This email message and any attachments is for the sole
use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
privileged information.  Any unauthorised review, use, disclosure
or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of
the original message.

The views expressed in this message may not necessarily reflect the
views of Bluestar Software Ltd.

Bluestar Software Ltd, Registered in England
Company Registration No. 03537860, VAT No. 709 2751 29