httpd-users mailing list archives

From Felix Rubio Dalmau <felixrubiodal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] VirtualHost configuration not working?
Date Sat, 03 Oct 2015 14:25:51 GMT
Hi Yann,

	At first, I have executed apachetl -S and this is what I have obtained:

===========
10.8.0.1:443           site0.example.com
10.8.0.1:80            is a NameVirtualHost
         default server site0.example.com
         port 80 namevhost site0.example.com
         port 80 namevhost site1.example.com
         port 80 namevhost site2.example.com
         port 80 namevhost site3.example.com
         port 80 namevhost site4.example.com
192.168.1.2:443        is a NameVirtualHost
         default server site0.example.com
         port 443 namevhost site0.example.com
         port 443 namevhost site2.example.com
         port 443 namevhost site4.example.com
127.0.0.2:80           site5.example.com
127.0.0.1:80           site0.example.com
*:80                   default.example.com
*:443                  default.example.com
ServerRoot: "/etc/apache2"
Main DocumentRoot: "/var/www/html"
Main ErrorLog: "/var/log/apache2/error.log"
Mutex watchdog-callback: using_defaults
Mutex rewrite-map: using_defaults

Mutex ssl-stapling-refresh: using_defaults

Mutex authdigest-client: using_defaults

Mutex ssl-stapling: using_defaults

Mutex ssl-cache: using_defaults

Mutex default: dir="/var/lock/apache2" mechanism=fcntl

Mutex mpm-accept: using_defaults

Mutex authdigest-opaque: using_defaults

PidFile: "/var/run/apache2/apache2.pid"

Define: DUMP_VHOSTS

Define: DUMP_RUN_CFG

User: name="www-data" id=33

Group: name="www-data" id=33
===========

I have realised that, although default.example.com is set at *:80 and *:443 interfaces/ports,
this site is not set as default in case there is no configuration that matches the input connection
for every specific interface/port pair. Hence, I have modified default.example.com's config
file to show like

<VirtualHost <ip0>:80 <ip1>:80 <ip2>:80>

<VirtualHost <ip0>:443 <ip1>:443 <ip2>:443>

This is what I have obtained then, when running apachectl -S
===========
10.8.0.1:443           is a NameVirtualHost

         default server default.example.com
         port 443 namevhost default.example.com
         port 443 namevhost site0.example.com
10.8.0.1:80            is a NameVirtualHost
         default server default.example.com
         port 80 namevhost default.example.com
         port 80 namevhost site0.example.com
         port 80 namevhost site1.example.com
         port 80 namevhost site2.example.com
         port 80 namevhost site3.example.com
         port 80 namevhost site4.example.com
192.168.1.2:80         default.example.com
192.168.1.2:443        is a NameVirtualHost
         default server default.example.com
         port 443 namevhost default.example.com
         port 443 namevhost site0.example.com
         port 443 namevhost site2.example.com
         port 443 namevhost site4.example.com
127.0.0.2:443          default.example.com
127.0.0.2:80           is a NameVirtualHost
         default server default.example.com
         port 80 namevhost default.example.com
         port 80 namevhost site5.example.com
127.0.0.1:443          default.example.com
127.0.0.1:80           is a NameVirtualHost
         default server default.example.com
         port 80 namevhost default.example.com
         port 80 namevhost site0.example.com
ServerRoot: "/etc/apache2"
Main DocumentRoot: "/var/www/html"
Main ErrorLog: "/var/log/apache2/error.log"
Mutex mpm-accept: using_defaults
Mutex authdigest-opaque: using_defaults
Mutex watchdog-callback: using_defaults
Mutex rewrite-map: using_defaults
Mutex ssl-stapling-refresh: using_defaults
Mutex authdigest-client: using_defaults
Mutex ssl-stapling: using_defaults
Mutex ssl-cache: using_defaults
Mutex default: dir="/var/lock/apache2" mechanism=fcntl
PidFile: "/var/run/apache2/apache2.pid"
Define: DUMP_VHOSTS
Define: DUMP_RUN_CFG
User: name="www-data" id=33
Group: name="www-data" id=33
===========

So now seems to be set-up correctly default.example.com as the default site for every connection.
Is this supposed to happen this way?

After this change, if I ping site3.example.com, the address is properly resolved to the vpn
(10.8.0.1). Then, from Firefox, I access http://site3.example.com and the URL is magically
converted into https://site3.example.com, and default.example.com is served.

I have checked in the apache config file for site3 and there is no rewrite section, and also
in the folder for that site there is no .htaccess with any rewrite directive. I have also
created a plain index.html and specifically requested that file, with the same results.

If I check the log for site3, I see no requests. On the other hand, I see the requests I just
made as for default.example.com, on port 443 (although I had requested port 80).

What any other debug/configuration parameters can I send you to help me debug this behavior?.
If needed I can put the configuration files, but will take a while as there are many and I
need to anonymize some parts.

Thank your very much for your time and help,
Felix