httpd-users mailing list archives

From "." <bloomu.p...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Help configure non-SSL webpages on an SSL site?
Date Tue, 15 Sep 2015 22:12:24 GMT
Hello,

I am a novice website admin, running Apache 2.4.7 on a Ubuntu box. I
want to be able to serve a subset of my website as http (port 80), even
though the overall site is on https (port 443).  I managed to convert it
all to https this summer by providing links in
/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/ to sites-available/default-ssl.conf and
sites-available/http-redirect.conf.  The redirect just permanently
redirects everything to use https.

I tried adding another VirtualHost for port 80, with a DocumentRoot
pointed at my "freely-available" subdirectory.  That seemed to work, but
the problem is that if somebody just browses to that subdirectory, they
get a directory listing that includes a hyperlink to the parent
directory.  By clicking on that hyperlink, they can escape into the rest
of the website using http instead of https.

I suspect there's a "proper" way to do this, but I don't know what it
is.  Any help, or pointers, would be appreciated.

thanks,
-Bob Montante