httpd-users mailing list archives

From John Fisher GM <john.fisher...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Alias /doc/ "/usr/share/doc/"
Date Mon, 20 Jul 2015 00:35:50 GMT
We're running Apache 2.2 on Debian 7 wheezy. We have approximately 24
virtual hosts. After running a few years, we saw some issues so we're
reviewing the entire Apache config.

I hope this is an easy question :)

On most of the files in sites-available, there is the following code:

>     Alias /doc/ "/usr/share/doc/"
>
>     <Directory "/usr/share/doc/">
>             Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
>             AllowOverride None
>             Order deny,allow
>             Deny from all
>             Allow from 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 ::1/128
>     </Directory>

 From what I've seen, this is for reading the Apache docs, and not much
else. So is this snippet of code necessary? Can I safely delete it?

Secondly,

   Just wondering, when I try http://www.mysite.com/doc ... I get Not Found.

    /Not Found/
    /The requested URL /doc was not found on this server./

And trying http://www.mysite.com/doc/ (with the slash at the end), I get:/
/

    /Forbidden/
    /You don't have permission to access /doc/ on this server.

    /

//Why would I not get access to any of the docs?

Thanks for any enlightenment.