httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Hessel, Carl" <Carl.Hes...@subcom.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Web app works with Apache Server (1.3.20) on some but not all identically configured PCs
Date Tue, 02 Jun 2015 12:20:15 GMT

This is my first request so I hope I am doing it correctly.
I would only expect an answer to this problem by someone who has encountered a similar problem
since I cannot provide any info about what is different between the successful and failure
PCs.

  *   The application (called PPG) is a client/server web-based application in which the apache
server resides on the same laptop as the client software. Therefore, the scope of this application
is local use only (that is, when a PPG user working at a particular laptop initiates a server
request, that request will always be processed by the Apache server on the same machine (localhost),
never across the network).
  *   The PPG application consists of HTML and JavaScript code running in an IE browser. The
startup home page is "home.html" and resides in c:/program files/apache group/apache/htdocs.

  *   The PPG application also consists of cgi Perl scripts running on the server side. The
first script that is invoked by the home web page is "promptforuserinitials.cgi". This is
the script that fails on two of the four laptops with the following error messages:
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your
request.
Please contact the server administrator, chessel@tycotelecom.com<mailto:chessel@tycotelecom.com>
and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may
have caused the error.
________________________________
Apache/1.3.20 Server at USY47NBO90FR1B2.us.tycoelectronics.com Port 80

[Tue May 12 09:31:00 2015] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Premature end of script headers: c:/program
files/apache group/apache/cgi-bin/promptforuserinitials.cgi
[Tue May 12 09:31:00 2015] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Can't open perl script "c:\program":
No such file or directory
The folder structure and files under apache group and c:/Perl are identical on all four machines
including httpd.conf.
All four machines are IBM ThinkPads loaded with Window 7 Pro, Version 6.1, Build 7601, Service
Pack 1. They are all configured similarly by corporate IT including installed applications.
I know that the Apache Software Foundation recommends upgrading to the latest version (2.4)
which would be my next step.
I thank you for taking the time to read this and greatly appreciate any help you can offer.

Carl Hessel
End User Documentation (EUD) Technical Consultant
TE Subsea Communications

This e-mail (including any attachments) is intended only for the exclusive use of the individual(s)
to whom it is addressed or copied. The information contained hereinafter may be proprietary,
confidential, privileged, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the addressee(s)
of this e-mail is/are not the intended recipient(s) or agent(s) responsible for delivering
the message to the intended recipient(s), the addressee is hereby put on notice that any use,
dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If the
addressee has received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by
telephone or e-mail and delete all copies of this e-mail and any attachments. Thank you.