httpd-users mailing list archives

From Frederik Nosi <frederik.n...@postecom.it>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache24 - how to optimize httpd.conf
Date Tue, 09 Jun 2015 13:56:33 GMT
Hi James,

On 06/09/2015 02:36 PM, James Smith wrote:
> Yes - it is the request over head - the client will still make the
> request at which point the server has got to decide has it changed
> before even -   which for most static requests is the heaviest
> (slowest) part before returning the not-changed response - and then
> serving the content!

But at this point the server in case of a positive match will send just
a 304 reply with no content, thus saving bandwith and time (due to
eventual roundtrips) no?

> You are better to:
>
> (a) set near future or mid future headers [ expires in a month or in a
> year]

Sure, the best request is the one that does not even come :-)

> (b) alter filenames if you significantly change the file contents [ we
> use MD5 of content for js/css ]

This only if you're in the posisition to decide the site layout though.

> Note this is "hyper-tuning" of Apache... some people may want to
> enable it - it was originally set up when most users were on 28K/33.6K
> modems (or slower) and the transfer of data was the slow part of the
> equation!
>
> James

[...]

Thanks,