httpd-users mailing list archives

From James Smith <...@sanger.ac.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache24 - how to optimize httpd.conf
Date Tue, 09 Jun 2015 12:36:52 GMT
Yes - it is the request over head - the client will still make the
request at which point the server has got to decide has it changed
before even -   which for most static requests is the heaviest (slowest)
part before returning the not-changed response - and then serving the
content!

You are better to:

(a) set near future or mid future headers [ expires in a month or in a year]
(b) alter filenames if you significantly change the file contents [ we
use MD5 of content for js/css ]

Note this is "hyper-tuning" of Apache... some people may want to enable
it - it was originally set up when most users were on 28K/33.6K modems
(or slower) and the transfer of data was the slow part of the equation!

James