httpd-users mailing list archives

From James Smith <...@sanger.ac.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache24 - how to optimize httpd.conf
Date Tue, 09 Jun 2015 08:24:23 GMT

 From Apache point of view...

  * Don't use .htaccess files... put everything in httpd.conf (or
    equivalent) there is a huge file system performance hit {Apache has
    to look for .htaccess files in the directory and any parent directories}
    include "AllowOverride None" in httpd.conf
  * Remove etags (Header unset Etag/FileETag None)
  * Enable keepalive
  * Turn on gzip encoding {mod_deflate} which you have done
  * Auto set expiry dates into the future {mod_expires}:
    ExpiresActive On / ExpiresDefault "access plus 366 day" / Header
    append Cache-Control "public"
    for static content...

Additionally...

  * For images look at:    optipng, jpegoptim & advpng... {consider
    spriting if useful}
  * For minifying CSS/JS: look at yui compressor and google closure
    compiler...  (Use jshint to check your js to make sure that it will
    merge/compress OK)
  * Can use a number of build tools to do some of this auto-magically...
  * Move (most) JS to the foot of the page....

Watch out with minifying HTML - there is a minor bug with most of the
minifiers which which can't handle correctly ends of line after tags,
and if you have gzip encoding it usually doesn't make a difference!

Finally...

  * Look at your code and try and optimize your HTML { put as much
    presentation as possible into CSS }
  * Look at your JS - don't use multiple "library classes" - I have seen
    sites using jQuery, Scriptaculous and YUI at the same time!
  *

On 08/06/2015 22:43, Motty Cruz wrote:
> Hello,
> I added this code on .htaccess
> <IfModule  mod_mime.c>
>   AddType application/x-javascript .js
>   AddType text/css .css
> </IfModule>
> <IfModule  mod_deflate.c>
>   *AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css application/x-javascript text/x-component text/html
text/richtext image/svg+xml text/plain text/xsd text/xsl text/xml image/x-icon application/javascript*