httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jens-U. Mozdzen" <jmozd...@nde.ag>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Documentation for /etc/sysconfig/httpd file
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2015 19:44:35 GMT
Hi Andy,

Zitat von Andy Wang <awang@ptc.com>:
> On 06/03/2015 10:31 AM, Jens-U. Mozdzen wrote:
>> Hi Dirk,
>>
>> Zitat von Dirk Devos <dirk.devos@usa.net>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am running Redhat 7.1 and apache 2.4 but I am not able to find any
>>> documentation on the "/etc/sysconfig/httpd" file.
>>> [...]
>>> This works.
>>>
>>> HTTPD_ENV_NAME="devl"
>>>

>>> I have tried the following with no success.
>>>
>>> HTTPD_HOSTNAME=`hostname`
>>> HTTPD_HOSTNAME=${hostname}
>>> HTTPD_HOSTNAME=$(hostname)
>>
>> the first an the last line should work (while I prefer the $() version)
>> - what catches the eye is the change in variable names (HTTPD_ENV_NAME
>> vs. HTTPD_HOSTNAME)...
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jens
>>

> Couple of starter points
> 1) the apache httpd project is not responsible for the distribution
> specific builds.  The /etc/sysconfig/httpd thing is a red hat-ism.

just for the records, you'll see that with SUSE Linux Enterprise
(SLES) as well, at least up to (still widely used) SLES11.

> 2) you should contact red hat for support on that
>
> In general /etc/sysconfig/httpd (which at some point will be
> deprected -it already is with fedora as systemd generally doesn't
> use /etc/sysconfig files) are simply ./sourced into the init script

well, had you redirected the OP to some shell scripting list, I'd have
agreed, but...

> [...] So you'll want to look more closely at the init script and the
> httpd configuration files to even know if what you're trying to do
> in /etc/sysconfig/httpd is doable.

...obviously he already found a working way of setting the value
statically, but didn't manage to do so dynamically. Hence I thought it
polite to point out that mismatch in variable names between these two
variants.

Regards,
Jens