httpd-users mailing list archives

From Yehuda Katz <yeh...@ymkatz.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Fwd: E tag numbers
Date Mon, 11 May 2015 17:26:18 GMT
1. It is considered rude to reply to an individual instead of to the entire
mailing list when you have follow-up questions. Many people on the HTTPD
list - including me - charge for consulting services, but answer questions
in a public forum to help everyone learn more.

2. As I already said, the ETag header are generated by the server based on
information about the file being served. This information can include the
last modification date, the size, the inode number and possibly other
pieces of metadata. The purpose of the ETag header is to allow caches to
know whether the response has changed since the last time they saw it. ETag
headers being the same could indicate that the file being served from
multiple domains is the same file or just happens to be the same size as
another file.

*ETags are NOT a thing to be allocated or purchased. ETag headers are
generated by each server individually based on the content being served.*

ETag headers are a part of the HTTP specification and have no meaning other
than to allow caches to detect changes to content.
(Some websites have been found to use ETag headers instead of cookies to
identify unique users, but that is not the intended purpose of the header.)

- Y