httpd-users mailing list archives

From Andy Wang <aw...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache httpd have it's own repo?
Date Mon, 04 May 2015 21:40:00 GMT
On 05/04/2015 01:28 PM, Rose, John B wrote:
> It looks like the yum repo for httpd for Red Hat 7 just has httpd 2.4.6
>
> Does Apache have it's own repo? We have looked around a bit but not
> found it. We assume that would be a more recent version.

No.
The apache org only provides source code for httpd.  They do not provide
binaries much less provide them through yum/apt/portage/whatever repos.
  Binaries are provided by third party contributors as they can provide
them.

One thing to keep in mind, yes, EL7's httpd is 2.4.6, but that doesn't
mean the code is stuck at 2.4.6.  The various Linux distribution vendors
backport critical and security fixes to their "frozen" versions, and
occasionally feature releases.  They do version freezes for various
reasons, some of which are to satisfy "stupid" enterprise customer
stability requirements. But yes, it can be somewhat confusing.

So you need to examine your actual reasoning for why you want a more
recent version before deciding whether or not you actually "need" a more
recent version.

Andy