httpd-users mailing list archives

From "David A. Cobb" <superbis...@cox.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Handling MS "Internet Shortcuts" and "Links"
Date Mon, 04 May 2015 12:24:45 GMT
On 04-May-15 06:09, Rainer Canavan wrote:
> [...]
>> However, if I click the URL file in a "Directory List" served from Apache, I
>> get the plain text file displayed.  I can go to the target with one or two
>> extra steps, but it's a PITA.
>
> It's a text file, so that's the expected result, since there are no special
> handlers for .url-Files in httpd.
Ahh.  I was hoping there was something I had overlooked.

>> It seems what I should do is to parse the file in the server and send a
>> "Permanently Moved To" redirection to the browser.
> I don't think you can achieve this with the likes of mod_rewrite, mod_setenvif
> etc. It should require a proper program, e.g. via CGI, mod_perl
> mod_php or the likes, plus probably a RewriteRule to start the script
> whenever a .url file is requested. Or maybe mod_lua and a
Lua sounds good.  I will look into that one.  Back when my brain was
younger, I earned my keep programming so it is maybe possible.
> LuaOutputFilter.
>
>> Or, I suppose, I could simply do the redirection; but somehow that feels less safe.
> Not sure what you're trying to say here.
Neither was I.  I thought that once I captured the localhost URL, I
could just serve that file.  But I think that just adds work duplicating
functions already in the browser.

>> Now, if I can be allowed a second question in the same post, can I do the
>> same thing with Microsoft ".lnk" shortcuts?  It would be a simple script
>> operation to transform the local FileSystem path to a "localhost:8080/"
>> path.
> That's actually not trivial in the general case, since it's not
> necessarily obvious
> how file system paths map to URLs.
In the general case, it would be hairy indeed. But I maintain a pretty
simple-minded mapping for documents I harvest.

> rainer

Many thanks, Rainer