httpd-users mailing list archives

From "David A. Cobb" <superbis...@cox.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Handling MS "Internet Shortcuts" and "Links"
Date Fri, 01 May 2015 14:00:42 GMT
Using Apache 2.4, serving selected documents at "localhost".
Browser is Firefox (40).

If I "Save a Link as a File" using a FF extension, or bookmark a link in
IE, I get a file "xxxx.url" which is a plain text file with lines such as
"URL=http://localhost:8080/pub/doc/.......html"

If I click such a file in the Windows File Explorer, it does what it
should and launches FF.  The extension follows the link and I can read
the target.  However, if I click the URL file in a "Directory List"
served from Apache, I get the plain text file displayed.  I can go to
the target with one or two extra steps, but it's a PITA.

It seems what I should do is to parse the file in the server and send a
"Permanently Moved To" redirection to the browser.  Or, I suppose, I
could simply do the redirection; but somehow that feels less safe.

Now, if I can be allowed a second question in the same post, can I do
the same thing with Microsoft ".lnk" shortcuts?  It would be a simple
script operation to transform the local FileSystem path to a
"localhost:8080/" path.

TIA