httpd-users mailing list archives

From Andy Wang <aw...@ptc.com>
Subject [users@httpd] httpd 2.4 and windows "hangs" and AcceptFilter solution
Date Wed, 15 Apr 2015 16:40:49 GMT
We've come across numerous cases where apache httpd 2.4 (I'm using
2.4.12 but I don't believe this is version specific) hang using the
default configuration options.

There are two cases
1) we have an InstallAnywhere installer that launches httpd during
install time to do some initial work.  When the installanywhere
installer starts httpd.exe (it does it via cmd.exe) httpd does not
respond to requests.  If you kill the installanywhere installer, then
all of the sudden httpd starts responding
2) certain IE 11 client requests hang httpd 2.4.

I've wireshark'ed #2 and at some point, an http GET gets an ACK and
nothing more.  I've peeked a little bit at the process threads with
processexplorer (unfortunately i'm not a windows developer, so I'm not
entirely familiar with the low level windows stuff) and everyhting looks
like it's okay and simply waiting for requests.

What I found after googling and testing is AcceptFilter http|https none
prevents both of those problems.  I've not yet tried connect to see if
that works either.

But what I'm really wondering about is, can anyone explain, especially
in #2, what it is about AcceptFilter http none that actually resolves
these types of issues?

Thanks,
Andy