httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian McBride <br...@epimorphics.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_reqtimeout question:
Date Tue, 14 Apr 2015 19:04:49 GMT
Hi Jim,

Thanks for responding.

Short answer: yes - the client is using http keep alive to keep a
persist connection open to the server.

Brian

On 14/04/15 19:38, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> By persistent, do you mean one that was held open via
> standard HTTP keepalive?
>
> Thx
>> On Apr 13, 2015, at 9:29 AM, Brian McBride <brian@epimorphics.com> wrote:
>>
>> Not having had a response to this question I'm left wondering whether I've screwed
up maybe by not asking a clear question or asking in the wrong place.  Or maybe I just asked
it at a bad time or I'm just out of luck and no one is motivated to respond.

>> Brian
>>

>> On 02/04/15 15:43, Brian McBride wrote:
>>> Given an apache 2.4 server with:
>>>
>>>   ReadRequestTimeout header=60-65,rate=500
>>>
>>> When a client opens a persistent connection to that server, does the request
timeout apply to

>>>   a) each request sent down the connection individually, or
>>>   b) the whole connection, i.e. the connection will close after 65 seconds of
reading requests even if there
>>>       are more requests ready to send
>>>
>>> Background:
>>>
>>> I have two apache 2.4 servers, one acting as a reverse proxy for the other.
Both have mod_reqtimeout enabled.

>>> The reverse proxy is using persistent connections to talk to the backend.
>>>
>>> I have applied a steady test load of 1 request per second; requests are quick
to process in the backend

>>> I'm getting 502 errors from the front end.  It appears that the backend is closing
the connections, though its hard to be sure which end is.

>>> The rate of 502 errors reduces the longer I make the ReadRequestTimeout.  I get
no errors if I disable mod_reqtimeout. It looks like the backend is closing then connections
after about N seconds where N is the timeout value, even in the presence of a steady load.