httpd-users mailing list archives

From Sebastian Pipping <sebast...@pipping.org>
Subject [users@httpd] Effect of AddType / Differences of AddType and AddHandler
Date Sat, 04 Apr 2015 23:21:14 GMT
Hello!

I recently learned that both the AddType and AddHandler directives run a
multiple extension approach [1].  So a line like

  AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .php
     ^^^^^^^
could get you into situations where image uploads of files named
"code.php.png" despite ".php" not being the end of the string.  Okay.

I have seen lines like

  AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
     ^^^^
using AddType rather than AddHandler (e.g. at a rather popular German
website called Selfhtml [2]), too.  That's why I'm contacting you.

>From the official AddType docs [3] I was assuming that AddType would
only set the string sent in "Content-type: ..." server response headers,
previously.

To put it into questions:

 * What are the effects of a "AddType ..." line really?

 * What are the differences of AddType and AddHandler?

 * What is the relation of MIME types and handlers in Apache?

 * Are there differences from what Apache 2.2 did compared to 2.4
   in this area of working?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Best,

Sebastian