httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Dates in httpd.conf?
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2015 19:27:02 GMT
Am 31.03.2015 um 19:49 schrieb Joe Jensen (ConAgra Foods):
> Can anybody tell me a good way to include a date in the apache
> configuration?  For various reasons I’m trying to avoid |’s to logrotate
> and want the date in a logfile’s name.  I’m really hoping to put the
> date into an apache variable I can use within the config.
>
> A prior install involved running sed commands to update the config files
> on apache startup (!!) which I’m trying to get rid of.
>
> Define DATE ??

If you only need a date which is per startup, but does not change after
the web server start:

In you start script or in envvars define and export a shell variable, e.g.

NOW=`date +%Y%m%d_%H%M%S`
export NOW

and then in the config you can use ${NOW}

Note that this will not update the timestamp if you do a "apachectl
restart" or "apachectl graceful", only by stop and then start.

What is your reason you don't want to use piped logging?

Regards,

Rainer