httpd-users mailing list archives

From Andy Wang <aw...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.4 Compile Questions
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2015 22:32:35 GMT
On 03/27/2015 02:21 PM, Lesley Kimmel wrote:
> All;
>
> I am generally responsible for compiling Apache at my job but looking
> ahead to Apache 2.4 I am running into a couple of issues/questions:
>
> a) PCRE is now required separately. I don't find much information about
> compiling PCRE, specifically for Apache. Are there any necessary
> configure options that should be used when compiling PCRE?
> b) The OpenSSL compilation instructions say to use CFLAGS="-fPIC"
> environment variable to enable shared objects. Does anyone know if not
> doing this will affect the function or performance of a self-contained
> Apache build? By self-contained I mean that every piece of the Apache
> build is being configured with --prefix=/some/apache/directory
> (generically).
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Les K.

I use the following options for PCRE:
--enable-utf --disable-cpp --disable-shared
Since my apache is selfcontained and built using a build script i didn't
see any reason to make pcre shared.  --disable-cpp is because apache
isn't c++ so no need for cpp support.  enable-utf is probably not
necessary since most of the regex stuff in apache is on urls which
should be escaped but i figured why not.

-fPIC is not necessary for openssl, at least on Linux.  the shared
Configure option takes care of that for you.

Andy