httpd-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From ghalvor...@hushmail.com
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Hosting: One website doesn't work.
Date Sun, 04 Jan 2015 15:53:09 GMT
Classify this thread resolved.  I didn't know that HTTP was case sensitive, and that resulted
in inconsistent behavior.  Just as I was about to call a priest to exorcize a virtual machine.

* It appears that adding ServerAlias corrected the behavior.

* It is true that misuse of the telnet www.example.com 80 as a testing method led to misleading
results.

Thanks all for the help.  Things are up and running as they should be.  This is soooo going
into my blog.


On January 4, 2015 at 9:00 AM, "Zimmi" <zimmi73@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>Hi,
>
> From the 501 Not implemented and from some of your telnet 
>sessions 
>copies, I see you use also "get / http/1.1" but beware, HTTP is 
>case 
>sensitive, and you should use "GET / HTTP/1.1". This would explain 
>why 
>wget gets your resource correctly but you can't get it through 
>telnet.
>
>Hope this help!
>Zimmi
>
>Le 04.01.2015 03:35, ghalvors78@hushmail.com a écrit :
>>
>> On January 3, 2015 at 9:09 PM, "Stormy" <stormy22@stormy.ca> 
>wrote:
>>> At 08:40 PM 1/3/2015 -0500, ghalvors78@hushmail.com wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>>> I'm not sure why these two behave differently (www.example.com 
>vs
>>>> example.com) I always thought the extra four letters were
>>> something that
>>>> Apache knew how to deal with.  It's hard to guarantee that the
>>> user will
>>>> user type or omit the 'www.'  What should be done about this?
>>> ServerAlias ?
>> It was undefined.  I thought I would implement it according to 
>online documentation.  I retyped an equivalent excerpt from my 
>sites-available directory.
>>
>> ServerName www.example.com
>> ServerAlias example.com
>> DocumentRoot /var/www/example.com/ht-docs/
>>
>> When I perform the telnet 80 test, I get a "501 Not 
>Implemented", but the wget command pulls the index.html correctly. 
> I never trust a web browser when diagnosing a web page because 
>they like to cache web files.  I used telnet to simulate a web 
>browser request, as explained in a blog, but it is apparently 
>wrong...
>>
>> This is the offending article I used, by the way.
>>
>> http://www.the-art-of-web.com/system/telnet-http11/
>>
>>
>>> Best -- Paul
>>>
>>>
>>> ----------------------------------------------------------------
>---
>>> --
>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
>>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org
>>
>> -----------------------------------------------------------------
>----
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org
>>
>>
>
>
>-------------------------------------------------------------------
>--
>To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
>For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org


Mime
View raw message