httpd-users mailing list archives

From ghalvor...@hushmail.com
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Hosting: One website doesn't work.
Date Sun, 04 Jan 2015 02:35:32 GMT

On January 3, 2015 at 9:09 PM, "Stormy" <stormy22@stormy.ca> wrote:

>At 08:40 PM 1/3/2015 -0500, ghalvors78@hushmail.com wrote:
>[snip]
>>I'm not sure why these two behave differently (www.example.com vs
>>example.com) I always thought the extra four letters were
>something that
>>Apache knew how to deal with.  It's hard to guarantee that the
>user will
>>user type or omit the 'www.'  What should be done about this?
>
>ServerAlias ?

It was undefined.  I thought I would implement it according to online documentation.  I retyped
an equivalent excerpt from my sites-available directory.

ServerName www.example.com
ServerAlias example.com
DocumentRoot /var/www/example.com/ht-docs/

When I perform the telnet 80 test, I get a "501 Not Implemented", but the wget command pulls
the index.html correctly.  I never trust a web browser when diagnosing a web page because
they like to cache web files.  I used telnet to simulate a web browser request, as explained
in a blog, but it is apparently wrong...

This is the offending article I used, by the way.

http://www.the-art-of-web.com/system/telnet-http11/