httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jason Haar <Jason_H...@trimble.com>
Subject [users@httpd] howto use mod_deflate to speed up client->mod_proxy transactions
Date Sat, 27 Dec 2014 21:10:01 GMT
I'm trying to configure apache-2.2.15-39 (CentOS-6) which is being used
as a reverse proxy. I want it to "take ownership" of content compression
via mod_deflate on behalf of the backend server - which is shoddy and
doesn't support deflate (and has large html, css, js files screaming out
to be compressed). The backend server owner has no capability to change
this, so we're wanting to use something "in between" to speed things up

I've played around with mod_deflate. It definitely works with local
content on Apache - but it looks to be like the "*outputfilter" options
only applies to local content - not "proxied" content? Is that true? Is
there any other way we can achieve this goal - of using apache as a
reverse proxy to optimize the client experience of a backend service?

Thanks!

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Corporate Information Security Manager, Trimble Navigation Ltd.
Phone: +1 408 481 8171