httpd-users mailing list archives

From Steve Matzura ...@noisynotes.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Using mod_rewrite to control the browser address barWhat Controls What's in a Browser's Address Bar?
Date Sun, 09 Nov 2014 06:22:36 GMT
Now my named virtual host is working correctly, I've another problem,
and I think this is an easy one. It's just a matter of what "flavor,"
if you will, of the directive to use.

On the site hosting the A-record for my server, the A-record address
is what shows up in the address bar of a browser when I browse to the
URL of the named virtual host--i.e., I browse to
http://www.example.com but the address that shows up in the address
bar when I get there is the one in the A-record (e.g., 11.22.33.44),
making the address bar show "http://11.22.33.44/". I'm thinking
mod_rewrite fixes this, right? If so, which of the several ways of
using it will do the substitution of 11.22.33.44 with www.example.com?
Also, how do I find out for certain if the mod_rewrite module is even
installed and loaded? I don't find a .load file for it in
mods-enabled, making me think it might not be installed.

Thanks again and as always for any and all assistance.