httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tim Furlong <Tim.Furl...@greenenergyoptions.co.uk>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Help needed with event MPM configuration
Date Tue, 04 Nov 2014 14:12:01 GMT
I’ve now sent two unsubscribe e-mails to this address - To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org<mailto:users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org>

Is this a manual process I need to wait for?

From: Rajalakshmi Iyer [mailto:raj@blismedia.com]
Sent: 04 November 2014 14:11
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Help needed with event MPM configuration

Thanks Eric.
We might be able to increase the number of threads available to handle new connections, but
it seems like existing threads are doing nothing (CPU utilization is quite low). How can that
be explained?
Regards
Raj

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 2:05 PM, Eric Covener <covener@gmail.com<mailto:covener@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Assuming the server is always under heavy load, the 240 worker threads are busy working
on 240 requests from 240 established connections. As soon as they finish their work, they
will be working on the subsequent requests on the same connection.

> There are 720 connections that have been accepted by the server, but only 240 of those
have been worked upon. The remaining 480 will never get a chance, because there are subsequent
requests on the same connection to be worked upon.

> As it stands today, the symptoms observed are --
>
> The server is not responding to new connections
> The 8 core server machine shows that 80% of each of the 8 cores is idle, which means
that the workers are not really doing much. Does that mean that each of the 240 threads when
allocated a connection is waiting for requests on that connection and not picking up other
connections that are newly established?

If you have 720 units of parallel, non-idle work and you don't want
queuing, you want MaxRequestWorkers >= 720.