httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Folino, Nick E CTR USARMY HRC (US)" <nick.e.folino....@mail.mil>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] mod_proxy / ProxyPass: 400 Bad Request? (UNCLASSIFIED)
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2014 13:11:13 GMT
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: FOUO

You may need to enable chunked encoding for those locations.

<Location /uploads>
    SetEnv proxy-sendchunked
</Location>

Nick

-----Original Message-----
From: Kristian Rink [mailto:kawazu428@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 4:22 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] mod_proxy / ProxyPass: 400 Bad Request?

Folks;

trying to track down a strange error, I am ending up here. Situation: We run a web application
built on top of Java and Jetty exposed through an
apache2 + mod_proxy reverse proxy.

Generally, this works fine. However, some of our users experience troubles doing file uploads
this way. In those situations, in example while using an upload Java applet such as JUpload,
there are three things to be seen:

- the upload component on the Java server complains about an EOF / empty request and guesses
the client stopped sending data,

- the user client stops upload after throwing a SocketException - "connection reset by peer",

- on the mod_proxy machine, I see the request in the log files obviously returning a 400 Bad
Request:

xx.x.xx.xx - - [26/Nov/2014:09:24:51 +0100] "POST /webprojekt/tasks/upload HTTP/1.1" 400 4533

... but why? So far I have been playing with configuration options on both sides (apache2
ProxyPass parameters, configuration options in the Jetty running the backend applications)
but didn't really manage to get these things resolved. So, two questions:

- Is there any way to make apache2 / mod_proxy provide more logging output in these situations?
I'd not just like to know that it actually does return a 400, I'd also like to know _why_
it does so. This would be of great help but I fail to see how to set a log level to debug
just for mod_proxy.

- In case someone has experience with mod_proxy: What could probably cause a 400 in such a
setup? Temporary connection issues? Resource limitations in the backend? Client stuff?

TIA and all the best,
Kristian