httpd-users mailing list archives

From Kristian Rink <kawazu...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_proxy / ProxyPass: 400 Bad Request?
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2014 09:22:06 GMT
Folks;

trying to track down a strange error, I am ending up here. Situation: We
run a web application built on top of Java and Jetty exposed through an
apache2 + mod_proxy reverse proxy.

Generally, this works fine. However, some of our users experience
troubles doing file uploads this way. In those situations, in example
while using an upload Java applet such as JUpload, there are three
things to be seen:

- the upload component on the Java server complains about an EOF / empty
request and guesses the client stopped sending data,

- the user client stops upload after throwing a SocketException -
"connection reset by peer",

- on the mod_proxy machine, I see the request in the log files obviously
returning a 400 Bad Request:

xx.x.xx.xx - - [26/Nov/2014:09:24:51 +0100] "POST
/webprojekt/tasks/upload HTTP/1.1" 400 4533 ....

... but why? So far I have been playing with configuration options on
both sides (apache2 ProxyPass parameters, configuration options in the
Jetty running the backend applications) but didn't really manage to get
these things resolved. So, two questions:

- Is there any way to make apache2 / mod_proxy provide more logging
output in these situations? I'd not just like to know that it actually
does return a 400, I'd also like to know _why_ it does so. This would be
of great help but I fail to see how to set a log level to debug just for
mod_proxy.

- In case someone has experience with mod_proxy: What could probably
cause a 400 in such a setup? Temporary connection issues? Resource
limitations in the backend? Client stuff?

TIA and all the best,
Kristian