httpd-users mailing list archives

From Lesley Kimmel <ljkimme...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Compiling HTTPD from Source
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2014 15:10:20 GMT
Thanks for your previous input.

I compiled HTTPD on RHEL5 and attempted to use on RHEL6 given the lowest glibc and kernel
version restrictions. However, I got an error on RHEL6 because libexpat was not found. It
turns out that RHEL5 has libexpat by default and RHEL6 does not. I think it supports python
and yum. In any case I was able to successfully build HTTPD on RHEL5 to run on RHEL6 by using
an 'undocumented' compile flag '--with-expat=builtin'.

This brings up the question of what other issues one might run into when compiling on one
system to be used on another. Is there not a very generic compile procedure or is it simply
the best practice to compile each package on the target system? I'm trying to avoid maintaining
several different build servers if possible.

Thanks again,
-Les

Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 09:32:35 -0400
From: trawick@gmail.com
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Compiling HTTPD from Source

On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 9:16 AM, Lesley Kimmel <ljkimmel99@hotmail.com> wrote:
All;

I've had good success compiling HTTPD from source when compiling on RHEL5 and running on RHEL5
or compiling on RHEL6 and running on RHEL6. I see there are library compatibility issues when
compiling on RHEL6, for example, and trying to run on RHEL5. How can I compile in a more generic
way to to be distro independent?

Generally: compile on the lowest glibc and kernel versions on which you plan to run
There's a recent discussion thread on dev@apr about working around this, but it is an iterative
process and might not work from release to release.  Here's that thread:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/apr-dev/201410.mbox/%3C20141022131350.GA2848%40unixarea.DDR.dd%3E

Thanks in advance,

-Les