httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mike Rumph <mike.ru...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_remoteip not setting client's ip with AWS ELB
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2014 18:27:13 GMT

> Mike,
>
> Okay, using %a works when using mod_remoteip. AWS Linux uses %h by
> default for its httpd.conf definition of "combined" log format, so
> I've changed that and I'm getting the logging I desire.
>
> I'll try to replicate the behavior in httpd 2.2 without mod_remoteip
> we well.
>
> Thanks,
> - -chris

Hello Christopher,

It looks like my replies got a little out of sync with yours.

In Apache httpd 2.4 with mod_remoteip enabled and correctly configured,
the %a field will contain the true original client IP address.
Otherwise, the %a field will contain the IP address of the most
immediate remote host.

For 2.2, the contents of the X-* headers is probably the only way to get
the true client IP address.
 From I can tell, in your configuration there is only one proxy between
the client and the destination server, so your X-Forwarded-For headers
would probably only contain a single value.
But one thing to keep in mind is that the X-Forwarded-For header could
contain a list of IP addresses.

Take care,

Mike Rumph