httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Mercier, Justin (N-NDP LLC)" <justin.merc...@lmco.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Dynamic access control by remote hostname or IP
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2014 19:12:34 GMT
I am using chef-solo to provision systems and currently store the node definitions in Apache
within folders matching the simple hostname. I also have a need to store some sensitive files
in this folder and need to restrict access by IP or host name.

So assuming a docroot structure such as :

/definitions/server1
/definitions/server2
/definitions/server3

where serverX is a hostname of a chef client, how can I control access to those folders? I.e.
something like:

<Directory /definitions/$remote_client>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from $remote_client
</Directory>

Obviously the above is invalid, but is there something similar that is valid that allows me
to easily define folder access control by the client's hostname without having to create a
Directory resource hard-coded for each?

Thanks in advance!

- Justin