httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] (36)File name too long
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2014 16:52:54 GMT

On 09/16/2014 02:50 PM, mmccarthy@tribloom.com wrote:
> I am using RewriteRule and the proxy flag to proxy through Apache.
> When a long URL is passed through (longer than 255 characters), I get
> the error below (redacted). I understand that this is related to the
> maximum file name on the OS, in this case Ubuntu 14.04. My question is
> why is this happening when the URL is not related to a file on the
> file system? The URL is rewritten, then proxied to another server that
> works fine with long URLs.
>
> [Mon Sep 15 11:42:04.211290 2014] [core:error] [pid 18302:tid
> 140171735451392] (36)File name too long: [client xxx.xx.x.xxx:53717]
> AH00036: access to /<long file path>/_aliases failed (filesystem path
> '/<long file path>), referer: http://xx.xx.xx.xxx/index.html
>
> Thanks,

That error message doesn't appear to be from the httpd server itself
(ie, that message doesn't appear anywhere in the source code for trunk,
2.4, 2.2, or 2.0), which leads me to believe that 1) it's in fact from
your filesystem, and 2) there's no direct way to fix that in httpd
configuration.

As thy why it matters when the file isn't on the filesystem, that's hard
to tell without more context, but I presume that at some point in the
process it is *looking* for the file in the filesystem.

For example, if this RewriteRule is in a .htaccess file, rather than in
the main server config, it did in fact have to navigate to a filesystem
directory before consulting that .htaccess file.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon