httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mike Rumph <mike.ru...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Understanding Apache Mutex directive.
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2014 16:56:16 GMT
Hello dE,

I can only give you my own interpretation of this document.

First of all the Mutex directive in Apache httpd 2.4.x replaces several
different directives from Apache httpd 2.2.x.
The SVN commit for this is 883540.
- http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=883540

The phrase "the first argument" in both cases probably means the first
argument after the mechanism.
The doc should be worded more clearly.  (So this should probably changed
to "the second argument".)

The mechanism is what kind of mutex technology is used.
Apache httpd uses several different mutexes for different purposes.
The mutex-name specifies which of these mutexes the Mutex directive
applies to.
It is a little confusing that either one of these arguments can have the
value "default".

So the phrase "The following mutex /mechanisms/ are available:" applies
to the mechanism  (argument 1).
And the phrase "The following table documents" applies to the mutex-name
(argument 2).

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Mike Rumph