httpd-users mailing list archives

From Al ...@familysafeinternet.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] stops listening to IP
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2014 18:44:07 GMT
Hi,

On Aug 12, 2014, at 12:57 PM, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 7:31 PM, Al <al@familysafeinternet.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Aug 5, 2014, at 4:51 PM, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 3:27 PM, Al <al@familysafeinternet.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am running apache 2.4. We are now having a problem with the
>> server, it stops answering requests on one IP. It goes down about
>> every 45 minutes. I have since switched one of the websites to
>> another IP and all it did was transfer the problem to the other
>> IP. I am now using both IPs for that website and I have disabled
>> keep alive. It now needs to be restarted every 5 hours. Does
>> anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?
>>
>> operating system?
>> Listen directives?
>> any IPv6 interfaces?
>> which MPM?
>> anything in error log?
>> anything in system log related to the interface that no longer
>> works with httpd?
>
> I should have included this info. OS NetBSD 5.2, Listen 0.0.0.0:80
> Listen 0.0.0.0:443, no IPv6, prefork, nothing in any of the logs
> that I can find.
>
> APR had an issue with feature detection on FreeBSD 10 that led to
> "outage" symptoms, though I don't recall precisely how similar the
> symptoms were.  Do you know if NetBSD 5.2 has the accept4 syscall?
> (doubtful)  That issue for FreeBSD was fixed in apr-1.5.1.
>
> With those Listen directives, httpd should be immune from different
> behavior on different interfaces, even in the presence of bugs
> related to socket state, polling, etc.
>
> You could attach to children with gdb at the time of the outage and
> get backtraces so we can see if httpd is doing its best to handle
> new connections.  If you can figure out how to trigger the issue,
> you could do so while running strace/truss/(similar tool) against
> the httpd child processes, which is trivial if you're using a
> threaded MPM and configure it to only have a single child.
>
> Other than that, I dunno.

After updating tot he latest version of Apache (apache-2.4.10) and
apr (apr-1.5.1/apr-util-1.5.3nb3), I am still having this same issue.
Now, I do see errors in the log: [Thu Aug 14 14:17:53.270261 2014]
[core:warn] [pid 27503] (54)Connection reset by peer: AH00056:
connect to listener on 0.0.0.0:80

This is also what I get in the browser Connection reset by peer.
Restarting apache helps for a while, sometimes 30 minutes sometimes a
few hours. I am not running any kind of firewall.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Al