httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Order of applicatoin of sites-enabled configs
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2014 19:31:24 GMT

On 08/07/2014 05:16 PM, M Busche wrote:
> Frank,
>
> I don't think you understood what I was trying to say.  My complaint
> was that in the pre-packaged configuration made with the ubuntu
> distribution, the default vhost configuration is placed in a file
> prefixed with the string 000 which causes it to be loaded first.  I
> renamed it to have a prefix 999, so that it was loaded (and processed)
> last.

Note that 999 still comes before abc, so you might consider zzz instead
of 999 in order to avoid the same surprise later.

>   I think we are in complete agreement.  My original query was to find
> out whether there was something I was confused about, or alternatively
> an explanation as to why-on-earth the people who put together the
> ubuntu distribution would set things up that way.

The short answer is that Debian did this in order to make it easier to
do stuff from the command line with the various utilities that they ship
with their Apache httpd packages. The longer answer has to do with how
good ideas mutate into complicated systems over the decades.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon