httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Favor <da...@davidfavor.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.4 - non adoption reasons??
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2014 14:21:31 GMT
Joey J wrote:
> Apache 2.4 has had a stable release out for over 2 years but is only
> used by 2.5% of active Apache sites.   Why is the adoption so low?? The
> Apache foundation has been recommending upgrading to 2.4 for some time
> and looking at the improvements I see significant value in several.  I
> don't see any reason why anybody wouldn't want to use it but the
> community seems to think it's bad.
>
> What am I missing??
>
> Current market share:
> http://w3techs.com/technologies/details/ws-apache/2.4/all
>
>  -Joey J

Biggest problem is with Apache changing format of conf entries.

For example, when Ubuntu upgraded to Apache-2.4.x the normal
upgrade process bricked every single domain being served.

I was able to find the fix + had to hand edit 100s of files
for domain confs.

For most mere mortals, doing an upgrade + having 100s or 1000s
of domains go dark, creates much discomfort in pits of their stomachs.

    Many people, just rolled back OS version + Apache.

In the future, might be best to think about this before hand...
if mass adoption of new code is the end goal.