httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brad Harris <Brad.Har...@MascoCabinetry.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Web file location?
Date Fri, 25 Jul 2014 20:13:32 GMT
Not an Apache-specific question but I'd like to get some real world input. The default document
root location for my specific Linux distro is /var/www/html. I'd like to hear what location
some of you veteran web admins use. I generally just create subdirectories using the site
name (e.g /var/www/html/sitename). Recently I've been tasked with granting access to one of
our (new/dev) servers to an overseas consultant. I had decided to create a user for each site
and put the files in "/home/user1/public_html" & "/home/user2/public_html"...then, to
simplify things for them, I decided to create a single user that will administer both websites
on that server and put them both in /home/user/public_html/site1 & /home/user/public_html/site2.
Now I'm thinking about putting them back in /var/www/html/site1 & /var/www/html/site2
and just give the single user account ownership on both directories.

Let me know how you guys are doing things.

Brad Harris
Senior Windows System Engineer
Masco Cabinetry
Kraftmaid(r) | Merillat(r) | QualityCabinets(r)  | DENOVA(r)
4600 Arrowhead Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48105
brad.harris@mascocabinetry.com<mailto:brad.harris@mascocabinetry.com>
Direct: 734.205.4898