httpd-users mailing list archives

From "D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <da...@Vex.Net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] can Apache do a sql query and Authenticate only some users?
Date Sun, 20 Jul 2014 13:43:06 GMT
On Sun, 20 Jul 2014 10:24:21 +0000
Mark jensen <ngiw2012@hotmail.com> wrote:
> - so can apache do a sql query to this DB and if the IP of the user
> is found in this DB, don't ask him for the authentication?
> - Or can apache authenticate the user by it self if it finds the IP
> of the user in the DB?

No.  You can write your own module as Eric suggests.  Personally I
would do the session/cookies thing since my next project might be too
different to use a module.  Of course if your site is mainly static
HTML pages the module may be the better way to go.

At some point you also have to ask at what point does the added
complexity of this outweigh the minor convenience for your users.
Remember, users can have their browsers remember passwords so you would
generally be asking them to type in a login and password once.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain
System Administrator, Vex.Net