httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] - customize .htaccess
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2014 18:19:17 GMT

On 06/16/2014 04:13 PM, Paolo De Michele wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> I would like to customize .htaccess
> my scenario should be:
>
> - domain.com
> - sub.domain.com
> - sub2.domain.com
>
> for istances, my root directory is /var/www/domain/
> into this would to insert about 2 new directories, called sub and sub2
>
> when a guest will digit sub.domain.com or sub2.domain.com will want
> reindirize to correctly subdir (sub or sub2)
>
> this is my .htaccess:
>
> RewriteEngine on
>                  RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}   ^sub\.domain\.com$ [NC]
>                  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/webdav/
>                  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/sub/
>                  RewriteRule   ^/(.*)$ /sub/$1  [R=301,L]
>

> when I try to see sub.domain.com the link return to sub.domain.com/sub/
> it works correctly but I would like to see only sub.domain.com/ without
> sub directory
>
> how can I personalize it in the .htaccess?
> thanks in advance

There's several possible answers to your question.

The simplest one is that you're using a [R] flag on your rule, which
means Redirect. Redirect means "change the URL in the browser", which is
apparently the opposite of what you want. Changing the R=301 to a PT
*might* do what you want.

The other answer is that using .htaccess files and rewrite rules for
virtual hosting is very error-prone, for a variety of reasons.

There's an entire document on virtualhosts with rewrite, at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/rewrite/vhosts.html  Please note
what it says at the top of that document:

mod_rewrite is not the best way to configure virtual hosts. You should
first consider the alternatives before resorting to mod_rewrite. See
also the "how to avoid mod_rewrite document.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon