httpd-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Datatone List Subscriptions <>
Subject [users] WebDAV for managing web site content HTTPD 2.4.x (9 actually)
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2014 05:50:23 GMT
I used to use WebDAV for managing web site content with Apache httpd
2.2.x, however I have so far been unable to move the old configurations
to 2.4.x and maintain this facility.

Most of the on-line 'howtos' seem to be based on the assumption that the
web server is being used as a kind of remote filesystem, which is all
well and good, and very useful; but not what I'm doing.

I have things fundamentally working, and I CAN make DAV work if I create
a directory under my DocumentRoot and use DAV to manage files within it.

<VirtualHost *:80>
    DocumentRoot /www/
    ErrorLog  /www/
    CustomLog /www/
    DirectoryIndex index.html

    Alias /update /www/

    <Directory /www/>
        AllowOverride all
        Require all granted

    <Location /update>
        Dav On
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "Site Update"
        AuthUserFile /www/
        AuthBasicProvider file
        <LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS>
            Require valid-user


This is my configuration. For the web site there is a .../<some-url>
directory, and within this there is a WEB-INF directory for various
administration stuff, and a 'site' directory. Everything is owned by the
user and group under which httpd runs.

DocumentRoot is set to the 'site' directory, so that the server serves
stuff from it as expected.

If I create a subdirectory under 'site' and set the Alias target to
point to it, DAV works; proving that the fundamentals are OK.

So for example:

    Alias /update /www/

Will allow me to access files in a subdirectory of the 'site' directory
called 'dav'. However as soon as I set Alias as in the configuration
file above, to point to the DocumentRoot, I get '405' errors and failure.

This seems to be telling me that there is something about the access
permissions to the actual DocumentRoot directory, rather than a DAV
configuration problem, and I assume that somehow my configuration must
have conflics in this area, but I'm completely at a loss with respect to
what is going wrong.


To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message