httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jim Barchuk ...@jbarchuk.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Fwd: apache hosting unknown sites !!!
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2014 17:09:21 GMT
HiHi!

My first thought was that a -spammer- had -misconfigured- something, to
point a 'spam target domain name' to your IP address. But those domains
are registered '06/'07 which is not typical of spam targets, and they
appear to be reputable.

Before I go further, a little more info. You mentioned...

> tv-house.ru , world-hdtv.ru ... etc.... I am clue less.

and then...

> 147.45.64.140 - - [16/Apr/2014:11:26:44 +0200] "-" 408 - "-" "-"
> 176.8.100.50 - - [16/Apr/2014:11:26:59 +0200] "GET
> /tracker/scrape?info_hash=U%5C%01%04%94%C6%83JV%143eL%B4%FD%5D%AD%D5%5B%E9
> HTTP/1.1" 500 1009 "-" "Zona 1.0.4.5;Windows 7;Java 1.6.0_38"

408 is very weird. I didn't even know what it meant, had to look it up,
and still don't fully understand what it means, potentially, as related to
your situation.

Could you please post a couple of lines that include the earlier *.ru
requests?

> newly configured opensuse

There are other misconfiguration possibilities. No not on your side but
elsewhere. Your IP address may have been previously used elsewhere for
other things, that are still configured to point to you without knowing
you're the new owner.

If nothing truly *NEFARIOUS* is going on, then over the course of time, a
few days, things may clear themselves out automatically and those odd
requests may simply stop happening.

If nothing nefarious is going on, but there are configs somewhere that
someone needs to change manually but either forgot about or haven't gotten
to yet, then the requests may continue for a while. If they don't stop you
may need to write to the owners of those domains to give them a heads-up
that they need to fix something or their customers won't be getting pages
that they should be.

Along those lines, there might be someone sitting elsewhere wondering why
-his- logs have dropped to -zero-. LOL!!! Or, they may drop way off, and
as nameservers are updated his logs 'revive' and continue as previous. The
only difference is that -he'll- have no clue why it all dropped off,
because -he- hadn't changed anything. If he's loading pages locally and
everyting works fine, yet he gets calls that other people can't load
pages, he'll have to know how to research the problem to find out where
the misconfiguration is.

Have a :) day!

Jim

--