httpd-users mailing list archives

From Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] rewrite and internal redirects
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2014 11:54:05 GMT
On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 7:44 AM, Moritz Lennert
<mlennert@club.worldonline.be> wrote:
> I have trouble understanding the entire process of internal redirection and
> rewriting. I imagine that this is some simple configuration (RewriteBase ?)
> that needs to be added/changed, but I just can't wrap my head around it.
> Could someone give me pointers to where to look for the solution (and yes,
> I've read though the page on mod_rewrite, but this hasn't put me on the
> right path, yet) ?

Generally you shouldn't put your rewrites in <directory>. It delays
their execution and makes them more complicated (every rewrite results
in an internal redirect).

If you are in <directory> or use [PT], you usually want to rewrite
from URL to URL not URL to filesystem path.

These might simplify things so much that you can sort out whatever is wrong.

When you move from <directory> context, you'll have to change your
rules a little bit because you'll be matching against the entire URL,
beginning with /.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com