httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mark London <...@psfc.mit.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] HTTPS configuration problem.
Date Thu, 17 Apr 2014 19:12:06 GMT
Hi - I inherited a web server from another site.   I requested a
wildcard certificate for that server.   What I failed to realize, was
that a wildcard certificate only covers *.XXX.COM.  It won't cover plain
XXX.COM.   And unfortunately, people mainly connect to the site, using
XXX.COM   Thus, people who connect to the server using HTTPS://XXX.COM,
get a warning message, saying that the certificate is not valid.

So I've been trying to find a configuration that redirects
HTTPS://XXX.COM to HTTPS://WWW.XXX.COM.  Unfortunately, every
configuration that I've tried, doesn't work.  All of the rewrite and
redirect rules, are applied after the browser checks the certificate
against the URL.   Thus, the warning web page always appears.

Is there a configuration to do what I want?  Or will I have to request a
certificate for XXX.COM?  (And then configure my SSL.CONF to have 2
virtual hosts, one for WWW.XXX.COM, and one for XXX.COM).   Thanks very
much. - Mark