httpd-users mailing list archives

From Andy Canfield <andycanfi...@yandex.com>
Subject [users@httpd] https
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2014 08:39:07 GMT
I have been using apache for maybe ten years now, and maintain two
servers in addition to the apache on my notebook computer for testing.
All using Ubuntu Linux *.04 LTS. It now appears that I ought to convert
from http to https.

But the documentation is insane. A piece here, a piece there, have to do
X (but first? and afterwards?). Assuming everything is else is OK, this
is way you edit this line in VirtualHost file (there is no
"/etc/apache2/.../VirtualHost" file!)

I figure that I need to do it in two steps:
[1] Get the https version up and running, and
[2] Make the http version automatically switch to https.

But I can't get https working at all, for anything. There's a "Listen
443" in /etc/apache2/ports.conf but 'nmap localhost' says 443 is a
closed port.

Has anybody else ever converted a hosted site from http to https? What
did you have to do to get the secure one working?