httpd-users mailing list archives

From Bill Beattie <bill.beat...@gov.ab.ca>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache as reverse proxy for internal IIS web server
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2014 20:39:12 GMT

Hello,
Pardon my ignorance as I am new to Apache.

We would like to use Apache 2.4 as a reverse proxy (located outside firewall) to an internal
IIS web server hosting an SSL based website.
The basic install of Apache has been completed, running on a Windows 2008 R2 box.  I am using
a compiled version of Apache.
The IIS webserver is running on Windows 2008 R2.
Question is should the SSL certificate be installed on the IIS webserver, having the reverse
proxy just direct traffic to it OR should the SSL certificate be installed on the reverse
proxy? Which method is best for security? What steps are involved to configure the Apache
reverse proxy to make it work?
I have spent a lot of time already reading through many documents, etc but I cannot find any
relating to my scenario.
Thank you very much for your time.  It is greatly appreciated!
in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information
and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should
not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.